Honoring the Spirit of Service: A Reflection on Community

Memorial Day is my favorite holiday of the year. Paying homage to those who bravely gave their lives to preserve our liberties makes me contemplate how I express my acts of service. This day reminds us that the dedication of our Armed Forces cultivates the idea that a strong nation isn’t made just by military servicemen and women; it’s made by every citizen who contributes to making it better, no matter the form of service. Service, in all forms, creates a society where all feel supported and validated. A closer look reveals that, among other things, this is my spirit of service. I volunteer with CASA, a network of advocates for children in foster care. They are too vulnerable to voice their wants and needs, and I can be their voice. Secondly, I work with the Red Cross year-round to lend a helping hand to families who serve our great nation. At a broader civic level, I remain committed to the San Jacinto city council and planning commission meetings, which keep me in touch with what’s happening in the city. By participating in the proceedings, I can help shape decisions that affect the town. I also serve on the advisory committee for Riverside County IHSS (in-home support services), a role through which I help shape policies that may impact many who engage in in-home care services. In addition, serving on my homeowner's association (HOA) board helps me work with neighbors to maintain and improve the community. My running for city council for San Jacinto this fall reflects that desire to have a lasting, positive, and civic effect on my city. Another way I stay committed to my community is by helping neighbors with small and large needs that pop up each day. I hope to one day repay all the sacrifices made for me to enjoy those freedoms by being one of those who actively take part in a diverse range of civic services here in San Jacinto and across this country. We can build one better San Jacinto and one greater United States through the collective efforts of all our constituents.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aging is a natural part of life, and it can be a time of great opportunity and growth. By taking care of ourselves and staying connected with others, we can age gracefully and live a long and healthy life.

Shaping Public Opinion: Aging can be scary

Did you know that paid family leave is supported by 84%, of the American people, including 74% of Republicans?